Moving to Germany

For Canadians living or traveling in Europe
Ryan676Junior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Moving to Germany

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:54 pm

Hey!
I need help on obtaining a German work visa and moving out to Germany. Any advice on how I might do this??
SherrieJunior Member

moving to Germany

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:23 pm

Right at the moment, you need to start the process of obtaining a work visa from Canada. But the German immigration system is starting to undergo possibly some changes. There is a new law they are trying to pass about foreigners. It would require that any foreigner could only fill a job in Germany if a German could not fill it. It sucks big time. I just recently moved to Germany and I am hoping to fall under the old law, because otherwise I cannot work. But, go to the German consulate where ever you are and they can tell you exactly. I hope this helps.

Sherrie in Krefeld Germany
Ryan676Junior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:36 pm

Oh man that really does suck. Im 18, 19 in september. I met a girl this year at school who was studing in my town and we have been dating for awhile.I decided I was going to follow her. So pretty much I want to end up in her town "Chemnitz" (few hours south of berlin)... Germany is pretty close to everything too, since i wanted to do a little backpacking as well.
How did you get a job there? Is it hard having no language backround in German.?
It said to get a visa I need an offer of employment...How would you suggest I go about finding a job. What did you do to get in??
Do you think this law will pass?
Do German companies really hire people who speak only english?
plz, Get back to me soon.
SherrieJunior Member

Don't worry

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:21 pm

Dear Ryan,

I am married to a German. We met on the internet and my husband came to study in Canada for four years, and now he has a job here. Not me. I am in the process of trying to get my Hairstyling license here, and it is not easy, lots of paperwork. But, if you want to be with your Girlfriend in Germany, you can stay here on a visitors visa for three months, and in the mean time you can apply for a work permit while looking for a job. The other option is to find a job with a company that is willing to sponsor you, meaning that they will help you get a work permit.
As far as the language it is very difficult, I had a german tutor for a year in Canada and I took two college courses, which seems to have helped, but it is still hard. If you need any more info feel free to ask, I am one of those people that researches things to death before I do them. So, I think I could answer a few of your questions.

Sherrie :o
Ryan676Junior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:02 pm

During this three month stay. Am I able to apply for work, and when I do. They are going to ask if I have my visa, will they not. It sounds like a catch 22.
Do you know any where I might look for an online Job?
Everytime I search it always in german and it is to hard to get everything translated.
How would I get sponsored???
Do you sugest going and looking for employment. Or trying to get visa from canada.
I assume my best bet would be to look for a construction job which doesn't require alot of German.
Do they hand work permits out easily.
Its no longer a question of if. Its how im going to get there. I'm very determined and serious about it.
Any more information you could give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks sherrie
SherrieJunior Member

moving to germany

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:46 pm

Dear Ryan,

The first thing I would suggest is find out where the German consulate is near you. Just google search and you will find one. Then I would call them and make an appointment to see one of their councellors to find out what all of your options are. There are many different rules and laws and they seem to always be changing. That would be the next step for you. As far as online job searches I am not sure. I have the same trouble with doing searches here as my German is not fantastic. As far as being sponsored, it is a process that when you find an employer, some companies will offer you help with getting your work permit to work for them. The only difficult part about that is finding a company that would do that. As far as construction work, in Canada you don't really need any special training but here it seems everybody has went to school for everything. Even to be a Garbage collector. The easiest way way would just be to marry this girl. lol just kidding I don't know if the relationship is that serious. Hope this info helps.

Sherrie
Ryan676Junior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:24 pm

Ok, Sherrie I have contacted the consulate. They gave me a list of everything I need to bring for visa application...but when I asked about sitting down with a councellor they gave me a political answer and totally avioded answering the question...oh well.
I still do not know how I will find a job in saxony. I've heard there is a demand in Germany for social workers. I've also heard that there is a high unemployment rate there. I mean, 83 million people jammed into that little piece if land! Are they really going to give me a visa or am I just wasting my time here??(venting :x )
Any more advice??
Thanks again Sherrie
SherrieJunior Member

moving to germany

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:04 am

Dear Ryan,

You are very right about the unemployment rate being high. Have you ever thought about mybe teaching english as a second language. For that the only qualifications you need are speaking english as your mother tongue. I am actually looking into it myself. And it seems that there are companies on the internet that can help you get into teaching. Just a thought. It would be worth a try anyway?!

Sherrie
SuzetteNew Member

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:14 am

Ryan,

One of the easiest ways to stay longer than the 3 months standard visitor allowed time is to go to school or university. It is what I did. I registered at a language school to learn German and as long as it is more than 20 hours a week you will get a visa to stay in Germany for the length of the course. However, you should be aware that you are only allowed to learn German for a maximum of 18 months. You can also apply to University and choose a course where German is not necessary and when you have a student visa which is different from the visa to learn German you are allowed to work for about 10 hours a week. (I am not certain about this.)
The cheapest school to learn German is the Volkshochschule which is a community centre type of school or Adult Education centre. The courses are often good if you have a good teacher.
If you take this route then you have the permission to stay and can look for work. Look for English/American companies in your city often they want to employee native speakers.
You have to inform the potential employer that you are not allowed to work and if they really need you they will then apply for your work permission.
You should be prepared for a lot of paper work and bureaucracy.
Also if you as a Canadian you can switch your visa from a student visa to a resident visa without leaving the country. The only catch is that in order to stay you have to work. You also have to renew your resident visa for the first year and after every two years. The work permit has to be renewed every year.
This is what I did and I have found work. I am now 4 years in Germany and after 5 years I will have a sort of permanent residence where I will no longer be required to re-new my resident visa. I am looking forward to that.
If you require more help let me know and good luck.

Suzette
Ryan676Junior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:22 pm

Suzette thank you very much. I was very close to giving up but this language permit seems quite promising.
I would apply for university but my grades are...lets say...not good.
I only plan to stay around 8-12 months so this would be perfect.

So by getting this visa to learn the language. That gives me residence... and I am allow to apply for work??
Also I plan to apply to college in Ontario for tourism or buisness. Do you think there would be any english speaking college courses like that in saxony?
Anything else you can tell me would be much appreciated.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!