Canadian Couple moving to London

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
smithatNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Canadian Couple moving to London

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:27 am

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be moving to London in June and have a few questions regarding housing. What exactly is required to obtain a rental flat in terms of references and deposit? We've only owned property in Canada and haven't rented before so we don't have "references". On top of that my wife will still be working for her Canadian employer and 'm heavily leaning towards contract work under an umbrella company versus working directly under a company as the pay tends to be better at this stage of my career. What will I need to give to a landlord to say "I won't run away without paying my rent"? Can you lend your experiences with finding housing in London?

Thanks
Andrew
JoanneSuper Member

Re: Canadian Couple moving to London

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:13 am

Normally you would need references from your employer and as a new immigrant you will not have any credit score in the UK so be prepared to pay 6 months rent in advance.
Have you already sorted your visas?

Joanne
smithatNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:53 am

Ouch 6 months rent as a deposit?

We have our visa's sorted thankfully. We have Ancestry Visas valid until 2017
JoanneSuper Member

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:37 am

Not as a deposit but as rent in advance + the normal deposit. Unless you can find a UK based guarantor that would be in full time employment and property owner. They would have to agree to be credit checked and will be responsible in case you do not pay your rent. It difficult at first for anything like renting a flat, getting credit cards and mobile contracts but once you are here try to slowly build your credit score. The first step (once you find a place to rent) would be to register on the electoral roll.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!