Applying for a TN visa while on a TD visa

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.
beehappyNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:25 pm

My husband recently got a job offer and would be getting a TN visa while I will be getting a TD visa to go with him. I also have a computer science degree and job in Canada and figured once we get settled I can look for work that could sponsor me for a TN visa as well. How realistic is that idea? I know I am not allowed to work in the US with a TD visa, but can I look for work? Can I change my visa status while on TD? any insight will be appreciated.
genie_vooNew Member

Re: Applying for a TN visa while on a TD visa

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:39 am

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. You can certainly look for work while on TD status, but cannot actually work (until you get your TN or some other visa/status which authorizes you to work). Obviously, while you're job hunting, let the employer know that your acceptance of employment and start date depends on obtaining TN status. Your employer will have to provide the letter in support of your TN status application. You'll then need to cross the border and apply for your TN status.

SIDE NOTE, if your TN status application is rejected for any reason, you will NOT be able to re-enter the US, even though technically you still have your TD status. This happened to me because I had only brought my notarized/certified copy of my diploma (not the original copy, which was hanging in an overpriced frame at my parents' house back in Canada) and they wouldn't allow me to enter the US. My husband (already had his TN) was with me (we drove to the closest US-Canada border) and we asked if we could re-enter anyway since he had his TN and I had my TD and we'll just come back after we get my original diploma sent to us. US Customs said no. They were being quite aggressive and it's totally subjective so, long story short, we stayed in Canada a couple days while my parents FedExed my diploma to our hotel and applied again and was approved. I was a little worried about the start date on the letter from my employer (about which I've heard from others that border officers can be very picky) because we would now be entering AFTER my stated start date, but it wasn't an issue when I applied the second time. It was noted in their computer system that I was rejected a couple days earlier and I explained that it was only because I didn't have my original diploma with me and they were ok with that.
MsKissaricaNew Member

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:42 am

Can anyone please help?
I am on H1b extension and in January i am planing to go to my home country for my visa stamping. While this travel i wish to visit UK. Can i apply for tourist visa for UK from USA while being in H1b extension?
StanleyNesKNew Member

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:33 am

You might as well apply here in Manila, so youll have easier access to all your documents. I recall someone in the US visa thread mentioning that he tried to apply at the Canadian Consulate in L.A., but was denied.

Has anyone had any experience with applying for a family multiple-entry visa for a fixed fee CD 750, I think.
beliakCOTNew Member

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:11 am

Hi Thanks for the info So I can travel 3 countries Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia with just an E-VISA of Azerbaijan?
RedgetrJunior Member

Post Tue May 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Just a quick update on our application for change of status... We received a letter saying that after reviewing our application we will probably receive an interview waiver and our case will be complete within 6 months. She has also already received her authorization of employment photo ID and is currently working.

I guess I am better at doing paperwork than I thought
Dellorik1992New Member

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:18 am

hi , i am a medical graduate presently on H4 visa. i am looking for job while preparing for USMLE. please help. thanks

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!