[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Any advantages to becoming a British Citizen?

Any advantages to becoming a British Citizen?

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
dognpony_ukNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Any advantages to becoming a British Citizen?

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:19 pm

Hi,

I have been living in UK now for 4+ years (originally from Vancouver Island - married a Brit, now here I am ... whoa... how'd that happen :shock: ).

I have found it very difficult in some ways to 'adjust' to living in UK and very easy in other ways and I am still adjusting!

I am coming up to the time of being able to apply for British Citizenship but am wondering if there are any real advantages of doing so. I guess you could say that my main 'worry' is, "What would happen to me (as a Canadian Citizen) should (God forbid) anything happen to my husband"; Although I am still adjusting to life in UK, I have made a lot of good friends, got a reasonably good job, have become very close to my husband's family and... well... there really is nothing for me to go back to in Canada.

My question is - If soemthing should ever happen to my husband, would I be required to return to Canada or would I be able to live out my life here in UK?
JoanneSuper Member

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:25 am

Hi,

I am in the same situation, I will apply for british citizenship because it gives me dual citizenship (Canadian + British) so I could go work anywhere in the EEC and as certain countries require visas if your canadian you can use your british passport instead.

Assuming that you have your "indefinate leave to remain" you can stay here as long as you want, whatever happens to your husband (divorce or other)...but hopefully none of that !!... :wink:
dognpony_ukNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

British Citizenship

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:46 am

Thanks Joanne.

I've been having a bit of bother trying to find out more info. I can see the advantage as far as being able to work in the EEC but am still trying to find out if there are any other advantages (i.e. UK pensions etc.).

If you hear of any advantages other than working in the EEC (or if you have an idea where I can find the info out), I'd be grateful if you would pass it on to me.

Cheers,
Megan
moorcloudNew Member

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:16 am

Anyone tried looking at this from the reverse position - maybe the same pros and cons apply. Wopuld be interestied in anyone's findings.
moorcloudNew Member

Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:17 am

Anyone tried looking at this from the reverse position - maybe the same pros and cons apply. Would be interested in anyone's findings.
JoanneSuper Member

More info

Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:43 am

JulsbNew Member

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:26 am

I would do it - you don't lose any of the advantages of being Canadian, and you gain the benefits of British/EU citizenship. Two nationalities are definitely better than one.
romNew Member

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:06 am

-- Passport-wise, you could find it's less hassle having a British passport
than a Canadian one (or vice versa). For instance, UK citizens don't need
visas for a weekend in Prage; Canadians do. (Alternatively, last time I
went there, visas for India were cheaper for Canadians than Brits.)

-- UK passports last 10 years, Canadian ones five.

-- It's a lot easier renewing a UK passport than a Canadian one.

RoM
CdnGirl09Junior Member

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:34 pm

Yeah being able to travel around Europe is a huge advantage. With companies like RyanAir and EasyJet, it's very easy to get cheap flights around Europe and not get hassled at the airports. You also don't need to stand in long "foreign" lines at the airport if you're flying in from Canada or elsewhere. That's my take on it.
stargazerNew Member

Dual Citizenship

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!