Will you be Denied entry to Canada? What You Need to Know

If you have been denied entry to Canada or think you might, there are some things you must know before you attempt to enter or re-enter . Here are  5 factors that will help you in deciding what to do next.

5 tips for Entry to Canada

1. Don’t panic: A lot of people are refused admission to Canada. It happens every day. Sometimes the Canada Border Security Agency (CBSA) takes a hard line and will refuse your admission for many reasons.

2. Reasons for Refusals: the most common reasons for denied entry are:  a) past criminal record  b) concern you may overstay your visit in Canada c) health reasons  d) lack of proper documents.

3. What do to if you may be denied entry: If the reason you are denied or will be denied is past criminality, it is essential that you gather all your information about your record.  You then should consider hiring an immigration lawyer to assess your case and give you options as to how to get admitted

4.  Plan ahead: If you think you may have trouble at the Canadian border then plan ahead. If you have travel plans, then you really should know what will be involved in getting though to Canada so you can plan for delays. Again you may want to contact a lawyer for help

5. Tell the truth: the worst thing you can do is lie or misrepresent your situation to a CBSA officer. There are harsh penalties  for misrepresentation that could result in a bar to your entry.

What are your options?

If you have been or may be denied entry say, because of a DUI or other reasons, you do have options. You may qualify for what is known as a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). A TRP is a document issued by the Canadian government that will allow you to enter Canada for a temporary period despite your inadmissibility.

Getting a TRP isn’t always easy. You have to prepare a strong application showing that:

  • you are deserving of admission despite your inadmissibility
  • proof of your record or health problems
  • that you will stay in Canada only for a temporary period
  • that the risks of admission are outweighed by letting you in

Where do you apply for your TRP?

In most cases, applying for a TRP is done at the Canadian Embassy. Processing can take a number of months. You may be called in for an interview. The other way of applying is though the Canadian/US border.  Americans and other nationals of visa-exempt countries can apply at the border.  Applying at the border comes with some risks. Yes it is fast instantaneous processing. However, you run the risk of refusal which means that you could be turned at way and sent home on the spot.

Need help with denied entry to Canada?

As mentioned you can contact an law firm for assistance. Our law firm handles lots of these cases. You can reach us at [email protected]

Hope this helps!

Michael Niren, Immigration Lawyer, Founder of VisaPlace.com