Government help in Korea

Once again, please bear in mind that Canadian government offices are not permitted to become involved in any case, conduct an investigation, or act as lawyers or mediators in any personal, legal or contractual conflicts experienced by Canadian citizens. They cannot investigate, certify or vouch for prospective employers. It is up to each individual to evaluate any employment offer before signing a contract.

The Canadian Embassy in Seoul can, however, assist Canadians in a variety of ways. It offers notarial services, and also provides passport and consular services. It can assist in providing the telephone numbers of various Korean government agencies that you may have to contact. If you do find yourself in need of legal advice, the Embassy can give you a list of attorneys; however, it is unable to recommend any specific lawyer from this list, and the choice of legal representation must be your own decision. Embassy personnel will attempt to respond to all your questions or complaints. Finally, it is advisable for all Canadian citizens in Korea to register with the Embassy. Registration allows Embassy staff to contact you if an emergency or crisis situation arises, or if your family or friends urgently need to get in touch with you. Registration is voluntary, and the information you provide is protected and used in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act. Canadians can also register on-line at:

If you have any further questions about teaching English in Korea, please contact the Consular Affairs Bureau at 1-800-267-6788 (in Canada) or (613) 944-6788.